|Location||136 Lowell Street, Manchester, NH|
|Units||17 individual suites with a full commercial kitchen and dining facility|
|Contractor||North Branch Construction|
|Architect||Burnell Johnson Architect|
|Manager||Families in Transition|
|Funding||NHHFA 1602 Exchange, Lead Grant, HOME, City of Manchester HOME|
|Total Development Costs||$2,500,000|
|Open Date||Summer 2011|
In 1844, the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company sold land on Lowell Street to Hervey Tufts. Tufts, a stove merchant with a store on Elm Street, built his home on the site in 1846. The house was shortly sold to another Manchester merchant and for the next 20 years went through additional ownership changes as well as renovations and additions to the structure. In 1867 the house was purchased by Person Colby Cheney for $6,500. Cheney (1828-1901) was a paper manufacturer and prominent Republican politician. He served as mayor of Manchester in 1871, governor of NH from 1875-1877, as U.S. Senator from 1886 to 1887 to fill a vacancy caused by the death of the incumbent and was special envoy to Switzerland in 1892-1893. Cheney owned the property for 22 years and made various changes to the home during this period. Since this time, the property has gone through many owners and uses, including as a rectory for the Grace Church and most recently as a home for troubled adolescent boys. At the time of acquisition by Families in Transition, the property was badly deteriorated and in need major repairs and restoration, including lead and asbestos abatement.
In the Summer of 2010, Families in Transition, in partnership with Great Bridge Properties, undertook a complete historic redevelopment of this gracious home including the addition of a 3 story structure to the rear. The home became the perfect answer to the growing need for temporary congregate housing for FIT participants waiting for a permanent apartment to become available. The property now houses 17 suites for women and children and includes a full commercial kitchen and dining facility for shared resident use. Many of the homes unique historic features were preserved and incorporated into the now fully updated building. The restoration of this beautiful home was completed in Summer 2011.